Tuesday, December 4, 2007

endings and beginnings

I have no idea who Maria Robinson is but, as I was wandering around different "famous quotes" sites instead of working on my annotated bibliography I found this quote: "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." In some ways, this quote really resonated with me because it made me think about the endless possibilities of endings I have in my life. I don't know if I necessarily want to think of my life in terms of an "ending" right now because it seems like it hasn't even really begun yet. I don't mean to say that I have not had rich, wonderful, painful experiences - I definitely have. What I mean to say is that all of my life so far has been a preparation for what will begin in a year and a half, when I graduate from college - and for the first time in my life - have the ability to "write my own story."

The possibilities and options I have can be a little intimidating. I don't want to screw up my life because of something stupid and transient - something that I might think is important at the time but in reality, I'm only fooling myself. I have a tendency to do this and I finally realize it. At least I realize it now, but what will happen when the situation presents itself again? Will I be able to be completely myself and actually know who that is? Will I stay strong in my values and dreams I have for my life? Or will I conform to what I think that person wants me to be and fool myself into believing that is who I am and that is what I want?

Right now I am so incredibly excited about the wide open world that is right there at my fingertips. I have been praying about it and thinking about it for a while now and I am leaning very heavily towards teaching in Alaska when I graduate. The exploring that I am doing in relation to that plan is thrilling! I can hardly wait until I graduate so I can start doing this whole teaching thing! I know, plans might change. But right now I am excited to have something to be excited about, something that is completely mine and is what I want and is a dream I have. I don't have to make another person happy.



This picture is one I took at Letchworth State Park. I love the tiny wild daisy as the focus of the whole expanse of picture.

No comments: